Foreign investors are given the opportunity to obtain green cards for themselves and their qualifying dependents by way of participating in the EB-5 program and making an investment of $900,000 in a new commercial enterprise in the United States.
While as a green card holder, EB-5 investors will not be considered as U.S. citizens but rather as lawful permanent residents, they will nevertheless be able to take advantage of many of the benefits that are applicable to U.S. citizens. Once an investor receives their green card, they are considered a U.S. person and, with limited exceptions, the benefits and advantages of being a U.S. person apply to them, such as:
- The opportunity to live and work in the United States.
- The opportunity to attend U.S. colleges and universities at the same cost as citizens.
- The ability to obtain student loans, receive state and federal grants and scholarships that are only available for U.S. persons, and obtain financial aid while a student.
- The ability to obtain paid internship and research positions only available to U.S. persons.
- The ability to apply for jobs that are only available to U.S. persons.
- The ability to work in the U.S. without having to receive work authorization or a work visa.
- The ability to travel without requiring a visa to many countries, including but not limited to Canada, Mexico, Singapore, Peru, Costa Rica.
The key differences between a U.S. green card and passport are that a green card holder (1) cannot vote in a national election, (2) does not have the U.S. passport and therefore may not be able to take advantage of visa-free travel to countries with which the U.S. has an agreement, and (3) cannot work for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Other than these key differences, most other benefits of being a U.S. citizen apply to a green card holder.
While by participating in the EB-5 program, foreign investors will at first only be able to obtain a green card, they will have the opportunity to apply for citizenship and obtain their U.S. passports after several short years and the fulfillment of certain conditions. The EB-5 program remains one of the most flexible and fastest ways toward obtaining U.S. citizenship.
Our team of U.S. licensed lawyers have years of experience in helping individuals and families apply for U.S. residency via the EB-5 program. Our Managing Director has been advising on EB-5 in Dubai for many years. We know and understand the struggles involved with the process of immigration and are ready to assist your families with every step of the process. If you are ready to start your migration journey with The American Legal Center of Dubai, contact us today for more information.